Friday, September 10, 2010

It's better to light a candle ...

                                                                                                                                                                 It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness.
                  ~ Eleanor Roosevelt    

                                                                                                                                                             I love candles!  Always have, always will.  I can remember making candles at a young age.  I must have driven my mother nuts with my melting of parafin on the kitchen stove.  She would constantly stand there and warn me of the fire hazard. Looking back, I know I must have driven my mother nuts with so many of my hare-brained "creative" ideas.  She was sweet enough to let me experiment and I am forever grateful for her understanding.

Candles are one of the best ways to create mood and ambiance in your home.  I even like to use them when I have had special breakfasts, brunches and lunches, a few simple white votives (unscented of course around food).  Sunlight does not keep me from lighting a candle.  I have really appreciated the dimmer switches we had installed on our lights.  Lowering the light a little in daytime makes more contrast for the candlelight.

One can't stress enough safety when using candles.  I was reading one tip of writing down the locations of lit candles in your home so after a dinner party you can go around and extinguish them.  Another tip is to to turn off all the lights in a room to see the lit candles so you can extinguish them.

Lately I have decided to use only good quality candles, I want to be able to smell some of the scent.  The ones of higher quality have much better scents, more like a faint perfume.  I have an Estee Lauder candle scented with the fragrance of Pleasures, I am anxious to use it.  Other favorites brands are Trapp and Niven Morgan.

Want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to taste even more delicious?  Eat it by candlelight!

3 comments:

Clint said...

Yeah, I had thought when we got the dimmer switches for our kitchen and dining room tables that we would no longer have a need for candles. Shows how wrong a guy can be. Love you!...AND your candles.

Unknown said...

I love candles too. My friends make fun of me because I always have them going all over the place when I have dinner parties! I like to use the T-light candles in clear glass hurricanes b/c they go out on their own. Beautiful.

Myra from Clinton said...

Cindy your blog is GREAT! I'm finally getting an opportunity to check it out. The picture you did for my Mom still has a proud spot in the living room in Clinton. We gathered there after John passed away and I was telling everyone about your paintings. It is great to hear you are doing so well and continuing to enjoy art. Candles are wonderful -- I have a collection of "fakes" I've been using recently due to my fear of fire. I enjoy to sit iiiiiin the house with the flickering glow surrounding me.