Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tabouli Salad


Tabouli Salad
Double Click to Enlarge


Tabouli, taboule, tabbouleh ... however you spell it, is a salad of  "Middle Eastern origin" consisting chiefly of cracked bulgur wheat, tomatoes, parsley, mint, onions, lemon juice and olive oil.  There are other additions that can be added to the salad but I prefer the more traditional style.


To begin, I used a box of Far East Taboule Wheat Salad Mix.  I prepared the package ingredients according to the directions on the package, listed under #1.


After it had been refrigerated for 30 minutes, I added 1 cup chopped fresh tomato, 2 tbsp lemon juice (1 tbsp is listed but I wanted it more tart), 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber (seeded), 2 tbsp finely chopped green onions and 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley. That's it!


For the past 20 years I have been making tabouli. Most of my family members like it, as Clint said, he loved the tangy taste. Besides being healthy, I find it light and refreshing.  You can't go wrong no matter what you add or leave out, there are plenty of suggestions on the box or at their website.

4 comments:

Franz said...

The good tabouli! I also prefer the slightly rougher, and add
even chili! excellent!

ciao Cindy!

Unknown said...

I love the Near East brand! I buy them up when ever they go on sale! Love their tabouli salad and the way you prepare sounds fabulous!

Clint said...

I only ate three helpings.

Clint

Karen said...

Great salad...sounds delicious! Love the additions you made. I need to step out of the box, away from rice...need to try tabouli.