Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Just because it looks good ...




I had such high hopes for this recipe, who wouldn't with such a descriptive title:


Savory Slow-Cooked Chicken Cacciatore


This recipe was in the Sunday paper coupon section, along with a coupon for Swanson Broth.  I have been trying to use the Crock Pot more often, it helps with the house showing schedule currently in our lives. It seemed like a natural that I should make this dish.


It was a disappoinment, the sauce was watery, bland and to me had a strange taste.  I am wondering if the strange taste came from the can of fire roasted tomatoes.  Needless to say, I will not be making it anymore.  Clint and I were in total agreement about this dish being a flop. 


Just because a dish looks good doesn't mean it is good!





Savory Slow-Cooked Chicken Cacciatore 
Savory?  I don't think so!
 

My little mini "cooking" spree continued the next morning.  I made some homemade pimento cheese, it has a variety of cheeses...American, cheddar, Swiss, cream cheese and Monterey Jack. To the cheese I added pimentos and Hellmanns mayonnaise.




Usually I mix just grated American cheese and mayonnaise together
to make Pimento Cheese.  This version had several different
cheeses that I had on hand.




Simple tuna salad ... tuna, boiled egg, celery,  little pickle relish and mayonnaise.
Sometimes I add a few lightly toasted chopped pecans to tuna salad.



Pecan Tassies


My little cooking spree ended on a good note, a sweet note, these tassies are delicious.  I have a recipe that calls for less butter, I am not able to locate right now.  I used the Pampered Chef recipe that came with their Mini-Tart Shaper, a must item for making tarts. Here is my slightly revised version of the recipe:

Basic Dough
1/2 cup butter
1 pkg (3 ounces) cream cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour

Let butter and cream cheese soften to room temperature. Mix together.  Add flour and mix to form a soft dough.  Chill dough at least one hour.

Form the dough into 24 walnut sized balls.  Place each ball of dough in a mini-muffin cup.  Dip the mini-tart shaper in flour, then press into the dough to shape perfect tarts. (You can do this by hand if you do not have a tart shaper)

The Filling
2 tbsp melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped pecans (The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups, you can use much less if desired)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all the ingredients until well blended.  Fill each unbaked tart shell.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Dust tops with powdered sugar when cool.  Also, don't attempt to remove tarts from mini muffin pan until cooled.

Tassies and tea, a perfect way to end a little cooking spree ♥

5 comments:

Clint said...

The Cacciatore was surprisingly bland. It looked soooo good.

The pimiento cheese and tuna salad were scrumptious.

And, of course, I hurt myself bad on those damn tassies. They were too good.

But what I really like about this post is the fact that you told about a dish you made that had such promise and looked and sounded so good and then just fizzled. You don't see that much on blogs. Great post!

Cindy Ellison said...

Thank you, honey. Every dish can't be a winner! At least we try new and different recipes.

VM Creation Atelier said...

Oh....my Godness:-)*
Dear Cindy,what a gorgeous recipes,I think they are delish!!!
It looks SOooooooooo full of great taste!

Cheers,
***Violetta***

MINAKICHU said...

I agree that looks can be deceiving, i also made a yummy looking dish that my partner hated and gave to the dogs...even the dogs didn't like it! hehe....but the tuna sulad looks like something i want to eat for tomorrow,yum!:-)

Unknown said...

I keep seeing pecan tassie and I want one so badly! I love your cooking spree and I love how you added pecans to your tuna salad too, I love the little crunch adding nuts gives to foodToo bad about the flop but oh well...just add cheese!!! :) LOL!