Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A bottle of Pluto Water, please ...









Riding on the City of New Orleans,
         Illinois Central, Monday morning rail ...


~Arlo Guthrie









Recently I ran across this old Illinois Central dining car menu left
over from my antique booth.
It's fun to look back on these old menus and see the offerings
and prices.




































What is Pluto Water, you ask?  Pluto Water was a trademark for a strongly laxative natural water product.  It was very popular in the United States in the early 20th Century. In 1919, it took 450 railroad cars to transport the bottler's output. Pluto water was bottled at the French Lick Springs in French Lick, Indiana.  It was advertised "America's Laxative" with the slogan "When Nature Won't, PLUTO 
Will".  It's namesake was Pluto, the Roman God of the underworld. 

The water contained a number of minerals including lithium salts. The sale of the water was halted in 1971 when lithium became a controlled  substance.                                                                                                                                                                       





The water was advertised that the laxative was effective from half an hour to two hours after ingestion.  I can't imagine a worse place than a train to drink this water ... well, maybe on a plane.





















Google images

6 comments:

Clint said...

Yessireebob! Give me some good ole Pluto water and get outta' my way. It sure as H beats Feenamint and Metamucil.

Yeah, can you imagine goin' to the Dining Car and ordering a bottle of Pluto while everyone else is having a martini or lemonade? Ha.

Nova said...

I was laughing as I saw the prices and Aspirin and Co. Thanks for sharing and the explanation whats Pluto Water. Never heard of it before.

Have a beautiful evening and greetings to you ♥

Carol Blackburn said...

Oh my, Cindy....I'm glad I never had any Pluto water. What a great post.

Shelly said...

I love to loook at things like this. Who'd have thought there's a water that does that? I wonder what Poland water is?

On another note, some day, I want to ride on a passenger train. It's on my bucket list!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

I didn't know Pluto was the god of the underworld..Awful.
The prices look cheap compared with today. I remember when I was fifteen you could by a huge bag of banana's for a shilling (ten cents today.)
Life has changed but I like looking back on some of that. It makes you feel young again..(for a short time LOL)

Leontien said...

Haha i was just thinking the same thing! I do NOT want to drink this drink on a train OR a plane!!

But it was nice to see those prices on the menu!

Big hugs from Indiana
Leontien