Friday, July 27, 2012

Southern Summer Days






 
“Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o’clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.”


~Quote from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.









Several years ago an old friend of mine wrote me a letter.  Yes, a real honest-to-goodness letter consisting of paper, ink and a postage stamp. She used the quote above in her letter and it made an impression on me.  While trying to find a photo to fit the quotation, I realized the perfect photo for me was right in front of me on my table.  Saturday at the flea market, I bought only two items.  The photo at the top of my blog is one of two old black and white photos that I bought that day.

 
.

4 comments:

Clint said...

It definitely looks like her talcum powder and perspiration have turned her into a teacake.

Clint said...

Do you think Atticus will play football for the Methodists?

Clint said...

You want me to bust up that chifferobe?

Kelly-Marie said...

Beautiful quote and beautiful pictures Cindy. The one with the Talcum powder is wondeful, I love her rosy cheeks x