Friday, July 27, 2012

Southern Summer Days






 
“Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o’clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.”


~Quote from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.









Several years ago an old friend of mine wrote me a letter.  Yes, a real honest-to-goodness letter consisting of paper, ink and a postage stamp. She used the quote above in her letter and it made an impression on me.  While trying to find a photo to fit the quotation, I realized the perfect photo for me was right in front of me on my table.  Saturday at the flea market, I bought only two items.  The photo at the top of my blog is one of two old black and white photos that I bought that day.

 
.

4 comments:

Clint said...

It definitely looks like her talcum powder and perspiration have turned her into a teacake.

Clint said...

Do you think Atticus will play football for the Methodists?

Clint said...

You want me to bust up that chifferobe?

Unknown said...

Beautiful quote and beautiful pictures Cindy. The one with the Talcum powder is wondeful, I love her rosy cheeks x