Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Paula Deen's Chocolate Chewy Cookies


A favorite cookie from Paula Deen, Chocolate Chewy Cookies.
(Double click image to enlarge)


As I have mentioned several times in this blog, I am a fan of Whole Foods.  One of the cookies that I get there is a Chocolate Chewy Cookie.  I like this cookie made with meringue and it is sure lighter than a chocolate chip cookie or brownie.  Several months ago I ran across this recipe in the Dallas Morning News, a recipe for Paula Deen's Chocolate Chewy Cookies. I can't tell any difference between this cookie and my Whole Foods favorite.

PAULA DEEN'S CHOCOLATE CHEWY COOKIES

2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used a very scant 1/4)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
3 egg whites
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (I used some English walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Stir together sugar, cocoa, salt and flour.  Add egg whites 1 at a time.  Beat well, then stir in pecans.  Batter will be very thin.

Drop by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cookies have begun to brown on bottom and appear set.  Allow to sit for about 2 minutes undisturbed, then remove cookies to wire racks to cool.  Store in airtight containers.

Makes 18 large cookies.  (Mine made 15 cookies)

Per serving: Calories 110,  Fat 5 g,  No cholesterol

I did not bake over 12 minutes.  I found that my tablespoon cookie scoop, the kind that releases the dough, helped in getting more uniform sizes of cookies.  This batter is very thin,  you will want to allow for expansion when placing on the cookie sheet for baking.

3 comments:

Clint said...

Woman can cook---I promise ya that.

Unknown said...

I began reading the Halloween Party post and then my eye was drawn to this AMAZING looking chocolate cookie!

I mean can you really go wrong with any of Paula's recipes?!?! NO!

Still haven't gotten to Whole Foods since you mentioned their Cowboy burger. Add this to the list!

Nice work!

pwatkins4 said...

I have been wanting to make these cookies for over 20 years and I finally did.

I cooked some of them on insulated cookies sheets; just a word to the wise, don't use them for these cookies. These sheets work fine for other cookies, but not these.